This article will explain how to create a Turnitin assignment for Blackboard Learn SaaS
Creating a Turnitin Assignment is as easy as creating a regular Assignment in Blackboard. Turnitin Assignments have the advantage of automatic plagiarism detection. Turnitin currently accepts the following file types for submission: .doc, .docx, .wpd, .eps, .pdf, .htm, .html, .rtf, and .txt.
All files submitted to Turnitin must contain actual text. Papers that have been scanned must be sent through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software before they can be submitted to Turnitin.
Here are the steps to add a Turnitin Assignment to a Blackboard course:
- In the course, ensure that the Edit Mode at the top right is set to ON.
- Click on the content area link in the course menu where you want to post the Turnitin Assignment (e.g. the Assignments section)
- Select Turnitin Assignment from the Assessments button:
- The first time that the application is launched, the terms of service must be agreed to. Once this is done, the following screen will open. Choose Paper Assignment and click Next Step.
- Set the assignment title, point value, and start/due dates options for your assignment.
The post date is the date that grades and comments are available to students in the Grademark feature and should be set for a date later than the due date.
- Click on the More Options button to set a variety of assignment options. Set these according to your needs. (See Table below.)
- When you are finished, click Submit
- To finish, click OK.
| Optional Setting||Description|
After the Due Date
|If set to Yes, students will be able to submit the assignment after the due date only if they have not previously made a submission.|
|Generate Originality Report for Submissions||
If set to Yes, Turnitin will automatically generate an originality report for the student submission.
Set to no, if this is a draft assignment and you do not want Turnitin to generate an originality report.
If you want students to submit multiple drafts without overwriting the previous drafts, create a "Revision assignment." Revision assignments are duplicates of the "parent" assignment's advanced options and standard settings; however, you may have new start, due, and post dates. For more information, see Revision Assignment on the Turnitin web site.
|Generate Originality Report for Student Submissions||Options include:
• Immediately first report is final
• Immediately (can overwrite reports until due date) - allows students to continuously resubmit papers to the assignment until the due date. It may take up to 24 hours to process originality reports for resubmissions. Only the latest submission is available to the instructor or student. Previous versions are removed.• On due date - will make it so all papers submitted to the assignment will be compared against each other with the originality reports are created
|Exclude bibliographic materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment||Select yes to exclude text included in the bibliography, works cited, or references section from being checked for matches when generating originality reports.|
|Exclude quoted materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment||Select yes to exclude text included in quotes from being checked for matches.|
|Exclude small matches||
Select yes to exclude matches of insignificant length from being considered when generating an originality report. Options include number of words or percent.
You can either exclude matches by the number of matched words. For instance, you can exclude any matches less than 4 words.
|Allow students to see Originality Reports||
Select No if you do not want the students to see the report.
|Reveal grades to students only on post date||
Select Yes if you want the students to wait until the post date to see their grades.After the post date, students will be able to access both the grade and your feedback through the GradeMark icon.
|Submit papers to||
Select standard paper repository to add the paper to the Turnitin database of submissions.
Select no repository if this is a draft assignment and you do not want the paper added to the repository.
|Search options||Unchecking the boxes means that searches will not be conducted in the listed areas- Student paper repository, Current and archived internet, and Periodicals, journals, & publications.|
|Attach a rubric to this assignment||
Accept the default if you do not have a Turnitin rubric you want associated with this assignment.
Click Show Rubric List if you have already created a Turnitin rubric and want to attach it to this assignment.
Click Rubric Manager if you want to create a rubric and then assign it to the assignment.
Note: You can only associate rubrics created in Turnitin with Turnitin assignments.
|Enable e-rater® grammar check||
Select Yes to echeck grammar, spelling, etc., on student papers and display the marks in Grademark.
Note: Turnitin uses a 3rd party tool called e-rater to check grammar, spelling, etc. You can turn off e-rater marks in Grademark when you are viewing student papers.
|Would you like to save these options as your defaults for future assignments||Select Yes if you want Turnitin to save your optional settings to your Turnitin account for future assignments.|
Professors can collect the students' submitted work and view their papers and plagiarism reports by going to the Turnitin Assignments link in the Control Panel.
Papers can also be accessed via the entries in Grade Center.